start-at-boot patch

Hillel hbilman at ecommunicate.biz
Sun May 15 11:53:49 CEST 2011

Hi Alejandro,

Have you been able to commit your start-at-boot patch?

thanks

From: Alejandro Guerrieri <aguerrieri at kannel.org>
To: Alexander Malysh <amalysh at kannel.org>
Cc: Kannel Devel <devel at vm1.kannel.org>
Subject: Re: useful patches for everyone

Thanks Alex,

I'll write the userguide part and commit.

Regards,

Alex
--
Alejandro Guerrieri
aguerrieri at kannel.org

On 19/04/2011, at 11:52, Alexander Malysh wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> IMHO this option is not really needed and is only workaround about a fact
that bearerbox
> is unable to reload configuration without restart. But reload is much
bigger implementation as
> this simple "hack". If this "hack" will help much people to do cleaner
configuration now then I'm
> not voting against this feature.
>
> Alex, please update userguide and commit this patch if nobody has any
objections.

> I'm +0
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander Malysh
>
> Am 19.04.2011 um 10:49 schrieb Alejandro Guerrieri:
>
>> For KISS's sake, this doesn't clutter configuration nor breaks backwards
compatibility. It doesn't hurt performance either.

>> If you don't want to use it just ignore it completely, the default
behavior if the directive is missing is to start the smsc at boot as usual,
so no harm's done.

>> Where do we trace the "absolutely necessary" line is of course fuzzy, but
from what I read seems like other users would find it useful as well.

>> Regards,
>> --
>> Alejandro Guerrieri
>> aguerrieri at kannel.org
>>

>> On 19/04/2011, at 05:19, Nikos Balkanas wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> wapbox must be kept around because of backwards compatibility, that is a
must for all open source software. Users are still using it.

>>> Finally I would like to add my support for keeping configuration
explosion in check. Otherwise, what a few people might gain in convenience,
a lot of people might have to pay for it in terms of kannel support due to
more difficult configuration. Some golden rules in configuration are:

>>> 1) KISS
>>> 2) Don't expand it, unless it is absolutely necessary.
>>>
>>> Stopping service to modify configuration is a no-no. Commenting a
configuration file off-line is convenience.

>>> My 2 cents,
>>> Nikos
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: Juan Nin

work, neither having to comment/uncomment things out, nor have to add/remove
config files.

>>> Having the start-at-boot directive allows you to just keep the
configuration defined, but the smsc does not start.
>>> So anytime you need it, you just use the start-smsc and then the
stop-smsc.
>>> This is much cleaner IMHO than having to do all the extra manual work,
no matter how easy that manual work it may be.

>>> A similar discussion was held some months ago, can't remember what new
directive it was, where the directive was finally added, since it was seen
it was helpful.
>>> Not all directives are used by everyone or may be useful for everybody,
that happens on any piece of software, but does not mean it's not useful,
nor that it should not be added. I don't care about the WAP related parts of
Kannel for example, and that doesn't mean I believe they should not exist.
Adding useful things to Kannel is something that makes Kannel a better
product, so I don't really see why not to add it. Maybe if it was something
complicated that really messed up with the code, could be, but this is
definitely not the case.

>>> Just my 2 cents.
>>>

>>> 2011/4/18 Nikos Balkanas <nbalkanas at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> What about the HTTP command start-smsc:
>>>
>>> It reloads the smsc and starts them from configuration. Therefore you
could have the smsc commented out at start, then enable it in the
configuration and start it from the web interface, without stooping kannel.
Is that not adequate?

<thomas at ist.schuldig.de>