Kannel not load balancing after restart and messages get stuck inqueue

Nikos Balkanas nbalkanas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 02:42:52 CEST 2009

No, you missunderstood. SMS are discarded only when they hit the Queue
limit. This is the general Q, that should be left unbound, and stored in the
spool directory.

The individual smsc's queue is living in memory. Once this limit is reached,
the SMS is simply returned to the general Queue to be tried later on. The
sms_router tries every 30", by which time more SMScs will be available. The
only bad about this approach is efficiency. I.e. If you have only 1 smsc,
with 50 msg qlimit and 2000 msgs in Queue, all 2000 msg will be submitted to
the SMSc, only 50 will be accepted and the rest 1950 returned to the Queue
(wasted processing).

If this becomes a problem, a patch maybe needed, once all available SMScs
have their queues filled, to stop submitting more messages.

BTW: 50 is just a figure, better use a number that corresponds to the
throughput of your SMSc for 2 rounds of the sms_router (2x30" = 60").

BR,
Nikos